Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Amazing Universe and my Early Inspirations

An intersting thing happened recently. I signed up for email from Artist Patience Brewster's website after reading a wonderful article about her and the wonderful Christmas ornaments she creates, and then separately a few weeks later, I hear she is reaching out to bloggers and inviting us to talk about our art in honor of Artist Appreciation Month. When I received that encouragement from her, I realized once again how important it is to blog!

   Now for the fun part, and the part that I think is the most difficult for most artists to do - talk about themselves. Wouldn't we much rather hide behind that curtain of anonymity and keep creating? Of course, but the followers of our work would love to know more.

  Instead or rattling forever and losing you to a sea of words ( because I personally rather see more visuals than words ), I will break out the answers to her questions in separate Blog posts. And I hope you'll come back for more.

  Question #1 - As a child, do you recall a significant moment when you felt truly affected or inspired by any particular artwork or artist?

My ability to draw was apparent at an early age. I have a very strong visual memory and drew a giraffe from my memory in kindergarten. My teacher raved about it, and my mother took it in stride. I think she saw my talent as something fun and no way a future source of income for me when I grew up ( neither my mother or father were artistic in any way ). No one else in class could draw without copying from something. I sat there whipping out things I saw in my mind. I started to feel more freakish than born with a gift. I was never one to tell anyone I was an "artist." My friends would say it for me. As I became more aware of my surroundings, I would have to say that the world of fashion, not a particular artist or artwork, was my greatest source of inspiration. I think I've been a "Vogue" subscriber since the age of eight. Well, not that young, but I know it feels like forever. I would sit and draw fashiony kinds of figures and loved drawing the outfits ( illustrations below were in my head at the age of 12, no reference material nearby ). And when Twiggy became the rage ( yes, I'm seriously dating myself here and you can see the visible influence of her in my art in the far right figure ), I was in heaven. And Jean Shrimpton. Need I say more? Google these fashion icons. You'll know why I was so obsessed, at least for that time period in fashion.





As I grew into my teen years, I would write stories for my High School English teacher complete with illustrations. He said they were the highlight of his Monday mornings. I can only imagine. Then in my free time in the evenings, I would draw and write comic books about my friends. I would actually draw for hours alone in my room getting out every now and then for more moments of inspiration. My Dad even scored me a huge drafting table to create on when I was about sixteen. It overpowered my bedroom, but what did I care? Drawing was my life. The bigger the table, the better.


Hang in there, I will answer the next question next week!


Now a little about Patience. I read a wonderful article about her in a FB Art Licensing Group I belong to. She is a true visionary, and focuses all her energy in creating a magical Christmas every year with her designs. She is also a brilliant combination of creativity and business. Two things, that no matter what art field you are in today, is sorely needed. The businees part of art is seen as the less desirable part, but a part that is becoming more and more important. Many art colleges are acknowledging this fact and are offering courses for artists to understand and feel more comfortable with this aspect of art.

Have a look at Patience Brewster's beautiful ornaments. They're magical and whimsical, and the culmination of hard work and talent. I hope you love her work as much as I do!

xo Laura




No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you! Comments are appreciated.