Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Art Point of View

Drawing perfectly was always my goal when I was younger. It had to look 'real' and at times my art paid the price of looking stiff. It also got rather tedious and frustrating striving for perfection. While I got very good mechanically with my art, I can see now that creativity was lacking in my earlier works. I actually find quirky art much more intriguing to look at now. While I appreciate the technique of recreating a neat, perfect, photo-quality piece of art, I find that I've become bored (despise this word, but it's the only one that seems to fit here) with it and that I need the visual stimulation of something way less perfect to view. I want to be somehow challenged by what I look at. This new perception has made me stretch and grow as an artist. Granted, I still struggle with my inner perfection demons, but I feel I'm more willing to be more creative now. While I still have a thing for doing the cutesy things that so many like to see, I also like to vary my mediums and my styles so that I can continue to grow. The only way to truly improve as an artist is to open yourself to the inspiration around you. There's no better way to improve upon yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you! Comments are appreciated.